WELCOME TO MY BLOG

FEEL FREE TO BROWSE AND ADD YOUR COMMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

ALL ARTICLES AND PHOTOS HEREIN ARE AND REMAIN THOSE OF THE BLOGGER.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

THE POWER OF BELIEF

Years ago I used to visit an old church near my high school. Whenever I had a pressing issue I would go there and light a candle. The name of that church was San Antoine. I am not one who follows organized disciplines or views of religion. I follow my heart. I said prayers at different houses of worship. I believe that everything that is said with a pure heart is a prayer. Anyway few years ago I was leafing through the mail and I came across a piece of mail asking for donation. Among various donation requests we received this one stood out. This was St. Anthony (San Antoine) . I mailed in my donation along with a request for prayers for an acquaintance who was going through difficult time. A few weeks later the same card appeared with a medallion in it. All of a sudden I had a flash back. I realized that one particular wish that I had made years ago had come through, so I send in a donation. I received another medallion. I then decided that as long as I have a medallion I would give it to someone who needed encouragement and hope. Recently one of my husband's client's came to the office and told us about the battle she was going through with cancer. Being a cancer survivor myself I tried to counsel her. I hesitated to give her a medallion only because she was of a different religious persuasion. Nevertheless with the medallion and a prayer card in my hand I approached her and just as I was about to explain her my story, she saw the card and joyfully rose from her chair and exclaimed that she was looking for St. Anthony prayers and medallion. I was speechless. She took the them from me with gratitude and tears in her eyes. I had tears in my eyes also.

I leave my story to the reader's interpretation and imagination. People can deduce what they want and I respect that. Here is a brief summary of St. Anthony's life.

He was born in 1195 in Lisbon, Portugal. He was ordained in the early 1200's. His sermons were noted for their eloquence and persuasiveness. In 1226 he settled in Padua, Italy where he tirelessly worked to help the poor and the sick. He died at the age of 36 in 1231. He was canonized a saint the year following his death and declared Doctor of the Church in 1946 by Pope Pius XII. He is known as the "Miracle Worker".

No comments: