WELCOME TO MY BLOG

FEEL FREE TO BROWSE AND ADD YOUR COMMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

ALL ARTICLES AND PHOTOS HEREIN ARE AND REMAIN THOSE OF THE BLOGGER.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

WISTERIA


Wisteria was named after an American anatomist Casper Wistar and it is a genus of woody climbing plants of the pea family (Webster's Dictionary)....

In the shady far corner of my back yard there was a plant that kept coming up every year. It didn't look particulary interesting. It was hardy but had no flowers. I took a sample of its leaf to a nursery and I was informed that it looked like a Wisteria leaf. I have a Wisteria plant in my back yard!!! but where are the flowers????. I always wanted to grow them in my yard. Now I had this opportunity to have one of my own. I decided to keep a close eye on it. I watered it, fertilized it and waited for a year, nothing happened. The following year I decided to tie the new saplings to the fence. They took and started to move on the fence but still no flowers. Well , I kept extending the string each year and waited patiently. Still nothing... and I vigilantly kept extending the string.... Well last year my husband and I were gardening and he said "look at these buds your Wisteria is finally blossoming" I thought he was joking, because first, I had not seen a budding Wisteria plant and these looked like shriveled grapes on a vine and second I waited almost four years without success. How could it be? But I hadn't given up on them also. I was jumping with joy. (Yeah little things like that make me happy). We had exactly five flowering bunches. That was last year...... Look at them now I have a whole fence full of them. . AAhhh Wisteria.. I love Wisteria.. It smells heavenly specially on balmy spring evenings...

Isn't life the same way ? Nurture sometimes overcomes the Nature.

(PS. This picture is taken in May not February. I finally adjusted the dates in my camera).

No comments: