WELCOME TO MY BLOG

FEEL FREE TO BROWSE AND ADD YOUR COMMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

ALL ARTICLES AND PHOTOS HEREIN ARE AND REMAIN THOSE OF THE BLOGGER.

Monday, June 9, 2008

CELEBRATION


The month of June has been declared "Cancer Survivor's Month". Every month is a survivor month for me. I've been celebrating every day for the last 10 years as a valiant conqueror. I had stage III invasive breast Cancer and had a 50/50 chance to survive. I took the better 50% and ran with it.... After surviving the fifth year my oncologist told me that some people in my chemotherapy group were not as lucky as I.... He thought that my outlook in life, not succumbing to adversity along with my sense of humor and prayers saved my life. The survival rate from this stage is low. Cancer is a formidable foe but I overcame the beast. . . I marched on like a soldier to win this battle without self pity or feeling betrayal. In my own small way I believe that I'm here to help others and to give hope. I've been couselling friends whom I call my soul sisters and give them encouragement. I can understand what they are going through. I've been there and I can understand... It is scary but look at me... I am here. Breast cancer does not have a gender, color or creed although it is mostly women, men can have breast cancer also. I urge everybody women and men to do breast self examinations and go for mammography. It saves life. Today science has taken giant steps to target the risks and recurrences and perhaps one day eliminate breast cancer. The survival rate has increased and that in itself is cause for celebration.

Now lets take a deep breath and count our blessings and remember to schedule a mammography and do our self examinations each month.

1 comment:

Librarian said...

Thank you for having directed me to your post when you commented on my post the other day. How very good of you to use your own experience to help others!