WELCOME TO MY BLOG

FEEL FREE TO BROWSE AND ADD YOUR COMMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

ALL ARTICLES AND PHOTOS HEREIN ARE AND REMAIN THOSE OF THE BLOGGER.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

LENTIL WITH SWEET POTATO


Some people don't like lentils, but they are excellent source of protein especially for vegetarians,  this is a good source. Lentils are versatile. They can be cooked in many ways and they always taste delicious. Especially this lent season I'll be cooking lots of lentils. They are nutty, aromatic and down right good for you. I toyed with this recipe for a while only because some legumes take a longer than others. I also  found out  that there is a way to accelerate the cooking time. When boiling add one (1) tablespoon of baking soda in the pot, voila they become tender and less gaseous. The magic is in the baking soda.  I used the brownish tinted lentils for this dish.  Have a Blessed Lent.

1 Cup of lentil washed and picked over
2  Tbs of olive oil
1 Large onion chopped
1 Clove of garlic minced
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 Cups of water (or vegetable broth) + 2 cups of water for par boiling
1/8 Tsp cumin
1 Large sweet potato (or yam)  boiled and skinned and chopped.

* S and P to taste

Par boil lentils with baking soda for 10-15 minutes, drain and set aside. Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add tomato paste and vegetable broth, cumin and bring to a boil. Add lentils and cover. Cook until lentils are soft to touch. Add sweet potatoes and stir (if you like soup consistency add more broth to make it soupy).

14 comments:

Al Cuoco! said...

Moreover letils are rich in iron (I don't know if "iron" is the correct word, I hope you can understand :D)

Ricette&Vignette said...

I like lentils very much, I made a soup recently, I love yours too, with potatoes... yummmy!!!

Ivani said...

Gosto demais de lentilhas,com batata doce deve ser uma delicia e diferente!
Ótima semana.
Bjs

Librarian said...

Sounds and looks great! I don't eat lentils often, but I like them, and they are part of one of my home region's national dishes :-)

MARCO PASHA said...

Hello Al Cuoco, yes you are right theyare very healthy. Thank you for stopping by

MARCO PASHA said...

Hello Francy, thank you for your comment

MARCO PASHA said...

Hello Ivani, thank you for stopping by

MARCO PASHA said...

Hello Librarian, then you should eat more lentils

Walkiria said...

Hello there. here you have a new fallower. How i got here, I not even remeber, hehehe, but here i am and i'm happy, I like your blog very much, and mmm yummi yummi, I love this lentils, and OMG i did not know that exist al those different colors, I only know one. Last night we had letils and they where good, and yes you are right THEY ARE VERY GOOD FOR YOU, VERY HEALTHY. I wish I could have those colorful one.
Sending hugs to you all the way from Costa Rica

Kay G. said...

I love lentils and I love sweet potatoes so I think I will love this recipe. Thank you!

Diane said...

I like lentils and I love sweet potato so I will definitely try this one. Thanks for sharing. Diane

MARCO PASHA said...

Hello Walkiria, welcome. Thank you for your kind comments

MARCO PASHA said...

Hello Kay G, thanks for stopping by.

MARCO PASHA said...

Hello Diane, thank you for stopping by.